What are the chances of transmission of STDs by oral sex?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have a very detailed question

I had unprotected oral sex with a male of unknown status. I know him for few months but I still have my doubts given his active lifestyle. Although he has assured me that he is clean on many occasions, I am still very paranoid. So here it goes.

1. We had oral sex both giving and receiving
2. Because oral sex was of a very rough nature I had experienced vomiting a few times.
3. I also made myself throw up because I did not feel well about the whole experience.
4. There was no vaginal sex.

That being said, given the nature of the deep throwing and vomiting ( both intentional and unintentional ) how worried should I be about this exposure and how soon can I get tested?
I am sorry about the nature of this question but I am new to this kind of experience and very shocked and worried.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The chances of STDs transmission is almost nil.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query. Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through the details and can make out your anxiety.

Practical chances of transmission of STDs by oral sex is rare. The chances are higher if there are ulcers or open wound in both, in the areas of contact. I haven't found history of ulcers in your post. Therefore I believe the chances of STD including HIV is negligible.

That being said, it is always better to get STD's investigations done for both. He can get the tests done now.You can go for STD's tests now and after 3 months to be relieved of anxiety. If any symptoms/manifestations develop in between, we can review the symptoms and accordingly decide upon the mode of action.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venerologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 21 minutes later
what about the fact that i had vomited before and after, is the risk higher
and what about the fact that it was a very deep insertion
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If person is infected there is slight risk of transmission.

Detailed Answer:

With deep penetration, chances of HIV transmission is marginally raised. But if you partner wasn't infected, it doesn't matter at all. Therefore it is worthwhile to ask him get tested.

Episodes of vomiting before or after the incidence doesn't add to HIV transmission.

Let me know if you need clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 17 hours later
How soon can I get tested for HIV
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
10-12 days post exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Tests like HIV 1&2 RNA PCR can be done post 10-12 days exposure.
Antibodies test like Elisa are conclusive after 12 weeks exposure.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist