• question-icon

What are the chances of pregnancy while on Implanon?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi there

I am a little worried. My period is four days late. For the past two weeks I've had nausea mid morning and throughout the day. Considering it might be stomach flu I avoided heavy meals and opted for dry toast and plenty of water. Into the second week of nausea it was no better. My breast aren't massively tender as yet maybe a little sore. I've been getting dizzy, hot flushes, aversions to sugary foods and desserts. Some slight discomfort in my abdomen. Now usually before a period I'm in menstrual agony. However now It's a duller pain, mild discomfort in abdomen and lower back. And I'm exhausted. After 7 hours sleep I'm dead weight. My legs don't seem to want to move. Also my vagina feels bruised when I walk. Stiff almost.

The other thing I should mention is I'm on implanon and have another year and one month left on it. It could just be messing with my hormones and die to a recent bereavement back in February. I have taken pregnancy tests 6 in total and all negative. My doctor has dismissed me completely when I asked for a blood test or urine test. They said it's highly unlikely ms long due to the implant ( they only had a 5 minute window to see me) . Told me to take another test when I am a week late.

The reason I'm desperately worried is because my blood group requires me to have injections before pregnancy or so my nurse told me. (Because I had a pregnancy before and lost it) also I'm in a new promotion at work and on a three month probation period to which they can get rid of me of I was expecting.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
You are already on implanon and the chances of pregnancy while on Implanon is less than 1%. The symptoms that you are having can be due to mild hormonal imbalance. If your six pregnancy tests have come negative at 4 days overdue then you need not worry. There is no need of injections right now. Do wait for your periods for next few days and repeat a urine test after a week.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN