• question-icon

What are the chances of pregnancy after taking morning after pill?

Posted on Thu, 20 Nov 2014 in Women's Health
Question: hi. i had sex on early morning saturday (1 to 1:30am) on september 27th. i took the morning after pill on monday (50+ hours). i bled on October 2 to October 5th. i took a pregnancy test on october 23 at 7pm. it came out negative. but i had a pinkish brownish discharge on October 25 which lasted a few seconds. Now nothing after that. my periods are irregular but i should have a period in the beginning of Nov 2 or the 5th. did the morning after pill worked?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rare chance of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

1) Morning after pill gives more than 58% protection (on UNSAFE days) against unwanted pregnancy when it is taken within 48 to 72 hrs.

2) You got withdrawal bleeding on 2nd Oct and it continued up to 5th Oct. It is quite natural and physiological phenomena. It occurs due to effect of the pill.

3) You checked your pregnancy status with test kit and it was NEGATIVE on 23rd Oct. Hence, your chance of pregnancy is extremely RARE.

4) Pinkish brownish discharge may be due to pelvic infection, hormonal imbalance, mental stress or old endometrial tissue. Just maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist