What are the chances of ear infection after getting ocean water in ears?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm super traumatized when it comes to me ears. It is nearly impossible for me to put anything in them willingly.

I've had a perforated eardrum for years now because the hole is high and in the hardest part to fix.

I am diligent about not getting water in my ears, however I was taken under by a wave in the ocean and managed to get water stuck in the ear with the perforated ear drum.

When I lay on the ear to try and get it out it makes the most annoying sensation of bubbling. How do I get the water out?

I thought ear drops were bad for a perforated eardrum and I'm terrified of an ear infection.

Please help asap! Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear examination. Cleaning under microscope. Ciprofloxacin ear drops.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Ideally you should get an ear examination followed by cleaning/suction clearance under a microscope or endoscope.

2. Water can be forced out by the valsalva maneuver and some will drain into the nose via the Eustachian Tube.

3. Ciprofloxacin ear drops are safe. If the sea water was clean, no other medication is necessary.

4. You should get the ear perforation repaired. Get the hearing levels checked after a few days.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.