What causes constant pressure in the ears and lightheadedness?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: we moved on the third floor and I started to feel like pressure in the ears and lighheaded is it possible being on third floor i was on the second

you meant moving from the 2nd floor to the 3rd would not cause this thats good it had me worried I cannot move
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible fluid behind the ear drum or wax in the external canal.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

I don't think that the pressure in the ear is related with the moving of the floors because as you can tell yourself there is much changing in air pressures with that distance.
It can happen sometimes that the ear gives that type of feeling especially if you are congested, or suffer from allergies, or have history of ear problems.

My suggestion is that you try to do the valsalva maneuver (inhale and then exhale while you have closed your nose and mouth - check it on your tube for more clarification) these days to make sure that the tube that connects the middle ear and throat is opened. This will relieve the pressure and drain any possible fluid that may be accumulated in the middle ear.

If painful- take a mild painkiller like Ibuprofen 400mg as needed.

Drink plenty of fluids- to be well hydrated is always helpful.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor. You may have wax in your ear or fluid behind the ear drum. In both cases an ear exam would rule out or confirm which is the problem.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Brief Answer:
Yes, moving floors is not the cause but may be something else.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, I mean that that is not the cause.

But the cause may be something else and if the pain continues you will need to check it out to a local doctor.

Meanwhile follow the advises I have given above and hopefully they will help.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T