What are the chances of downs syndrome?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Excellent
Question
hello , my name is XXX. i got my ultrasound NT / NB scan on 12 weeks 2 days. result says that liqour is normal and Nasal bone is present , NT = 1mm. just wanted to know if everything sounds normal and if baby is at low risk for down syndrome. ( I am 29 yrs old, turning 30 next month.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low risk.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome,

Congratulations for your pregnancy.

The ultrasound report is alright and the NT is normal.

About the risk for Downs syndrome:

The risk increases more after 32 years and then rapidly after 35. Till then it is not very high. Considering your age, the risk of Downs is 1 in 940 and considering the NT [ I will need the CRL parameter to give exact risk] the risk is very low.

So do not worry. Your doctor may ask for a triple test at 18 weeks for further screening, but as of now, the baby is OK and the risk of Downs is very low.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist

Follow-up: What are the chances of downs syndrome? 4 minutes later
thank you doctor.

here are the further details :-
CRL - 6.02 cm ( 12 wks 4 days )

BPD - 1.66 cm ( 12 wks 3 days )

FL - 0.65 cm ( 12 wks 0 day )

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
risk mentioned below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The risk is low ranging from 1:950 to 1: 4999 depending upon the combinations of age alone and age with nuchal scan. The risk decreases if both the parameters are combined together which is a good sign.

Your lab [ if blood tests are done] and the software of the sonologist will also give a risk range and you may ask for that. It may vary from the above ranges but the risk is low.

So do not worry.

Wish you a happy pregnancy.

Dr Madhuri

Follow-up: What are the chances of downs syndrome? 7 minutes later
THANKS A LOT DOCTOR. THAT WAS VERY RELIEVING. AS ITS OUR FIRST CHILD SO STRESS LEVEL IS LITTLE HIGH. I HAVE HAD MY BLOOD TEST DONE ALREADY (maternal serum screen 2 dual test , PAPPA, HCG). WILL GET THE RESULTS WITHIN 2 DAYS. THANK YOU AGAIN.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No stress.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back,

Please do not get stressed.

There are 6 more months to go. Keep a positive attitude and things will work out fine. Stress is not good during pregnancy and also it does not solve any problems but only compounds them.

So relax, talk with your baby, watch good movies, eat well [ low salt and low oil and avoid plain sugars] eat fruits daily any two will do, exercise, work and meditate.
You will do fine. All my best wishes are with you.

Dr Madhuri