Owl Image

What are the chances of HIV through unprotected intercourse?

Owl Image
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Question
I just had sex with a transgender mtf. I had sex with a condom, the condom broke at some point and I ejaculated in the transgender women. She had told me repeatedly she is clean and gets tested. I do know she escorts. She asked if I wanted come over on Friday, but I am not scared think about anything. I have never done had this happen with a transgender. So I am overly worried. I know I will have to get tested the first week in October.
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are negligible chances of HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for condom break and the of HIV infection with simultaneously the status of the transgender women.

I got all your concerns and make out your stress after the incidence. Now first relax and do let me know certain points:

- Since how long you have had the intercourse (in days).

- Do you have any cuts or any sores on your penis.

- Have you had seen any sores or any type of ulceration in the transgender women.

Let me first reassure you that in your kind of incidences there are negligible chances of HIV infection. Though there are many a reports in literature stating the possibility after the condom break but in my experience I have never seen on observed any case of positive status after your kind of incidence. There are certain reasons which I can provide you for your ease of mind:

- There are two possibilities of the transgender women: either she is positive or negative. So if there are 50% chances of her positive status then there are 50 % chances of her negative status too. I take it more on her negative sides because these escorts are more careful then us and this is not only their job but a kind of health consciousness that they get examined and tested regularly. They are even more concerned for their own health which even we are not!!!

- Fine even if we consider that she is positive then also there are so many things between you and virus. That means in positive persons also there should be a particular number of infective material. Any of infection requires minimum amount of infective agent or viruses to spread the infection. This minimum amount of virus is known as Infective dose 50 or ID 50. So in condom break it is found that this dose is seldom attained. There should be a break in the integrity of the skin through which the virus can get entered.

So you got some of the points related to chances of infection.

I hope you must be bit relaxed. Do let me know the points which I asked you.

Hope to hear soon form you side.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD -Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: What are the chances of HIV through unprotected intercourse? 9 minutes later
Thank you very much for you response. I don't have any cuts or sores on my penis. I never had unprotected sex. She is very confident in her response. I assume worst case scenario, the condom had broken for a good 5 mins of sex. She told me she had her last test around 2 weeks prior. She kept asking if I am negative so I guess you are probably right. Knowing she escorts sort of bothers me. I heard people getting HIV after one incident, so that is what scares me. I don't know of anything else. I never had any std before so HIV scares me.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can go for RNA PCR.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for sharing your concerns with me.

Let me again reassure you that in your case the chances are nil. I can make out that the other woman was even more concerned than you for the health status. It makes out that she is quite concerned about health issues and must be quite vigilant.

TO add medically and scientifically it is the female who is more vulnerable for the infection from male rather than female to male. The reason is simple because the the skin is more in contact with female and has wider area of contact. Secondly seminal fluid as well as the secretions form male are ejaculated into female vagina making female more vulnerable.

You do nt have any cuts or sores on penis is the best of news because in most of the cases reported in literature basically those cases who have had sores or cuts or XXXXXXX bleeding to acquire the infective agent.

Lastly still if you are worried then in your kind of situation I suggest to go for RNA PCR test to detect HIV. It is one of the test which puts you in ease at the earliest. The test can be done any time after 15 days of exposure. It directly picks up the virus even in 2nd week too. So rather than waiting and keeping yourself in tensions you can go for RNA PCR.

But overall I reassure you that in your case there is negligible chance of HIV and form my side you appear to be free form any such thing.

So just relax and do not worry.

My all best wishes for your good health. I hope you these information will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: What are the chances of HIV through unprotected intercourse? 7 hours later
I read your second statement this morning. I think you missed read my second statement. The act happen from male to transgender mtf. I had no cuts or scraps or sores on my penis. But having sex for five minutes with an expose penis and further ejaculating inside would put in grave trouble. I know I have to wait till October to get my true results so there is not much I can do now, but be patient. I assume would put me at high risk for transmission of HIV if the transgender has person has HIV. She assured me she gets tested. So, that was my concern. I thank you for alleviating a lot of my concerns. But I think the odds are against me.

Brief Answer:
RNA PCR can be done at this time

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again and thanks for your follow up.

I completely got your concern right from the beginning of your query. In your case you were the active partner and the transgender male to female was the receiving. In all these cases it is the receiving partner who is at greater risk.

Anyhow, I want to suggest you that you need not to wait for 3 months and bear the anxiety. You can get tested by RNA PCR which is the latest of advancement in HIV testing. In RNA PCR the test can be performed anytime after 15 days of exposure.

So I suggest you to go for RNA PCR and do not wait for 3 months. I reassure you that it should be coming negative.

Just relax and do not worry.

My all best wishes for your good health. I hope you these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Thank you very much for your assistance. Anxiety will be difficult in the coming days. My concern with the amount needed is that I assume the condom was broken for a long period of time so that was my concern with it. I assume 5 minutes, but during sex I don't know how long it was broken. I never had this happen before so I kind of panicked for a while. I will probably consider taking the test you suggested. I assume the worst case in this matter and as much as the transgender person told me they test, I assuming they might not be telling the truth. I thank you for the confidence in the matter. I hope you are right. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

You are welcome. Do not panic and get the test done.

Everything should be fine.

Please close and rate this query.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia