What are the benefits of canola oil?

Surumi
Surumi Jabir

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Greetings,

I happened to visit the vitamin H site today for the first time. I wanted clarification on the tip of the day.

Tip of the day
Among all the cooking oils tested so far, canola oil has been found to be the safest.

Can you please shed some light on the reasons why Canola oil is safest? As far as I read before ( I may be incorrect) I believe the seed is genetically modified and extraction process itself involves use of chemicals.

Looking forward for your reply.
Answered by Surumi Jabir 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benefits and selection of canola oil

Detailed Answer:
Greetings!!

Canola oil is produced from pressed canola seed, which are harvested from pods of the canola plant.

As you may be knowing, the benefits of canola oil are:

•     Canola oil is rich in two essential fatty acids, which helps to prevent heart attacks and strokes by helping to lower bad cholesterol.
•     Among the widely used vegetable oils, canola oil has the lowest saturated fat level.(Oils which contain high levels of saturated fats will increase the risk of heart diseases)
•     Canola oil have significant level of poly unsaturated omega 3 fatty acids.
•     It is rich in Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant. It protects from free radical damage and improve the skin health.
•     It helps to keep the body’s metabolism in normal rate, as it have the lower levels of cholesterols and presence of antioxidants.
Benefits of Canola Oil in cooking
•     As the smoke point of canola oil is high, it doesn’t breakdown at high temperatures. Thus making this oil ideal for deep frying, stir frying etc.
How to Select Canola Oil
•     Always select canola oil made from the pods of the canola plant, which are organically grown.
•     Method of extraction should be cold pressed, as cold pressed oil are not treated in a factory with chemicals.
•     Canola oil which comes with low price in supermarkets, extracted with chemical solvents or high speed presses, which hinders the goodness of canola oil.
•     Hence you may go for the organic-cold pressed canola oil which costs approximately 1000 and above for about half litre.

I would suggest you to always rotating the vegetables oils used for cooking.
Choose from olive oil, rice XXXXXXX oil, corn oil, mustard oil, sesame oil etc. and keep interchanging the oils. Don’t stick to any particular oil, as you may miss the benefits from other oils as well.

Stay Fit, All the Best.

Surumi.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng