What are the adverse effects of prolonged use of contact lenses?
I ve been wearing specs for more than 20 years now and am myopic with the following readings:
Left Eye: -8 with -1 cylinder and Right Eye:-7 with -1.25 cylinder (do not recall measure of axis). I have the following questions:
- I spend atleast 12 hours in office and travelling to work. So would contact lenses be a feasable option for this eyesight. I want to use 12-15 hours a day around 5-6 days a week.
- If yes, then which lenses are preferrable the monthly disposable ones or yearly or is there any other alternate.
- Are there any negative effects from long term use of contact lenses.
Extended wear contact lenses areideal for you.
Welcome to Health care Magic
I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.
I reviewed your history.
It seems from the history that you are having high myopia with astigmatism.
You can use contact lenses for treatment of myopia and astigmatism.
Since you want to use the contact lenses for 12-15 hours you need to use extended wear contact lenses. Monthly disposable lenses are better.
The prolonged use of contact lenses can cause allergic reaction.
Hence you need to use them carefully.
If you want permanent solution you can go for laser refractive surgery.
Hope this information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Contact lenses side effects
- What are rgp contact lenses
- What causes cloudy gas permeable contact lenses
- Increased eye power and use of contact lenses
- Is it safe to use contact lenses for high number
- What causes hazy contact lenses
- Eyes prescription for contact lenses what is sph
- Precautions when using contact lenses
- Implanted contact lenses side effects
- Foggy vision after using contact lenses had conjuctivitis any ideas