• question-icon

How can presbyopia be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Is there a procedure to correct my vision. I am a general dentist and have used loupes for many years for work. I have worn contact lens for over 35 years for distance vision. My problem is now I have to wear reading glasses to select the correct burs on my dental tray and to read my notes, computer screen, etc. I then switch to my loupes while working on the patients. I have increasingly become more dependent on reading glasses.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Corneal examination needed.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
I have gone into details of your refraction and feel that you are developing presbyopia, thereby now you need two different powers for different levels of working.
What you should do now is to get a referral for refractive surgery,here it will be important to have tachymeter done to assess corneal thickness to decide if LASIK laser is feasible.This will decide the options available for us.
These surgeries are a good and now time tested options available,other than glasses and contact lenses ans loupe.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist