Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Vomiting and diarrhea stopped after food poisoning. Now have fever. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
My husband and I have food poisoning. Vomiting and diarrhea have stopped but we both have trumps of 99.4 and 99.7 what should we do. We aew in our 60s.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
I am sorry that you both have symptoms. Food poisoning is usually self limited, and clears itself very quickly. Usually within 24 hours. You should drink plenty of fluids, and if you can drink fluids with electrolytes (such as gatorade, powerade, etc). Avoid sodas or carbonated drinks. The goal is to keep yourself well hydrated; it is ok if you don't eat much solids while you are sick. If the diarrhea is severe you can use over the counter imodium to stop it. Your temperatures are on the upper limit of normal, so it is not technically a fever, however if you feel you have general malaise or feel hot, then you can take acetaminophen or tylenol for this.
In the meantime wash your hands very well multiple times a day in order to avoid transmission to other people around you.
I assume you don't have any major medical problems based on the info provided. If symptoms do not get better, and actually worsen over the next 48 - 72 hours, then you should definitely seek medical care.
Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions or concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor