Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Urine test positive for cocaine. On oxycodone and zipiclone. Advised for blood test. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have taken several urine tests and tested positive for cocaine. For over six months, I was using cocaine leaf tea from Bolivia and drinking the tea, perhaps 1/2 gallon per day. I am on oxycodone and zopiclone and keep testing positive, even though I stopped drinking the tea for about 1 month. I am a large woman and am afraid that I am and could be storing the byproducts of the cocaine in my system. My doctor asked for a blood test, but I'm thinking its going to be testing for the same byproducts as in the urine, so of course it will be positive. Long reasonably long can this stay in one's system?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
The routine tests used to detect cocaine in urine tends to detect cocaine as well as metabolites of cocaine of which benzoylecgonine is the commonest and the most notorious. Notorious cause it takes reasonably long time to get cleared.
Mostly it is said and reported that cocaine does get out of your body in 3-4 days but by practical experience, heavy users, as in your case, cocaine and its metabolites can come positive in urine for upto 12 weeks.
There are many factors on which this time frame depends, like sex, age, fats, hydration, metabolizing capacity etc.
In hair it may be detectable for more than a year.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor