Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine analysis showed urine ketones: trace h. Having upper abdominal pain. Concerned?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5735 Questions
Hi.... My urine test from yesterday came back with Urine Ketones: Trace H. Everything else seems to be in the normal ranges.
I have had pain in my upper left abdomen and into my lower back for months that has remained undiagnosed. All tests including x-rays and ultrasounds have come back normal. Should I be concerned with the result from yesterday's test?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Ketones in urine means that you have not bee eating for a while before the test. It is only a trace, so this does not mean anything.
Upper left abdomen can be caused by diverticulitis, urine tract stones or infection, peptic ulcers or even spine diseases.
Diverticulitis is strictly associated with constipations. Urine tract stones do cause sudden strong pain radiating from the back to the lower abdomen and groin. Urine tests can be normal, usually erythrocytes are present in the urine.
Spine diseases cause pain in the back which aggravates after lifting or standing for a long time.
It is advisable for you to have colonoscopy performed especially if you have had constipations, blood or mucus in stool or lost some weight recently.
If you do suffer from acid reflux or chest burning, upper GI endoscopy should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor