Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Urinanalysis showed traces of blood. Getting over anal fissures, hemorrhoids and yeast infection. Can they contaminate the test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I am a 58 yr old female with a history of light smoking on and off for years. For at least the last 12 years my urinalysis had shown a trace of blood to Large? Everything else is negative or fine except my RBC was 5-10. I am just getting over anal fissures and hemroids plus a yeast infection. Could any of these contaminated the test? What do the above numbers mean and should I see a urologist. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

Thanks for your query.
It is possible that urine sample could have been contaminated if there is active bleeding while collecting the specimen, as these organs are not too far away.
At this age, with smoking history and blood in urine, unfortunately cancer in the urinary tract has to be looked for. If this is ruled out, others are not serious.
There is a protocol for hematuria evaluation(blood in urine), that is doing urine cytology, ultrasound scan and cystoscopy and biopsy if necessary.
Kindly XXXXXXX a urologist as soon as possible.
Other than cancer, stones, infection also can cause blood in urine.

Hope i answered ur query. Take care,

Dr G Srinivasan, urologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor