Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Uric-acid based stones in bladder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
How do I stop bladder stones?
50 y/o male. Last summer, started passing small (poppy seed sized) stones, 2-3mm.

Ultrasound tests revealed nothing. Was told to drink water. Stones became larger and numerous. CT scan that revealed numerous stones in my bladder. Urologist said stones were forming in bladder. Stones are uric-acid based. My prostate was probably enlarged. Stones continued to grow in size, passing one 1-2 wks. Was given Sodium Citrate. 2 months later, passed 5mm stone. 24-hour urine collection said I hyperexcrete uric acid. Was prescribed 300mg Allopurinol and 10mg of Alfuzosin. Just passed another "giant" stone, but after 5 weeks. Desperate to stop these stones. I do not want the penis probe! HELP!
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 20 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Renal calculi (stones) are sometimes chronic and recurring condition. You seem to be suffering from one such recurring condition. As far as treating it, unfortunately till date there is no procedure or medicine which can prevent the formation of urinary tract calculi.

The medical drugs given to you are appropriate in treating your condition. You need to continue on them as suggested.

Please drink lots of water daily apart from the medicines which you are already taking.

Avoid red meat and excess of alcohol (if any) with a healthy lifestyle will help you.

I am not sure if you have an enlarged prostrate. If your prostate is enlarged and uroflow is poor you can go for laser prostatectomy / Transurethral resection of prostrate (TURP). You may discuss with your urologist to know about the status of your prostrate.

I understand that these recurring stones have been bothering you. With the treatment suggested, I hope you to have a better quality of life.

Hope I have been helpful to you.

Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor