What do these MRI findings indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: I received the results of an MRI of the prostate. States that cancer is likely. What is meant by comments, 'likelihood of extra-prostatic extension:1-Highly unlikely' and 'likelihood of seminal vesicle invasion:1-Highly unlikely". Thank you. My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You seem to have Organ Confined Cancer of Prostate .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have done MRI of pelvis as a part of investigation for suspected cancer of Prostate .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) What are your symptoms ?
2) What is your PSA ?
3) Have you undergone Biopsy of Prostate ? if so what is a Gleason's Score

Please upload reports of your investigations .

The treatment modality of Cancer of Prostate is governed by whether it is confined to prostate or has infiltrated (Spread ) to surrounding organs like seminal vesicle or in soft tissue around prostate . MRI is done to know this aspect .MRI finding reported as Highly likely indicates that it has spread to seminal vesicle and when the picture is not clear suggesting infiltration to seminal vesicle it is reported as likelihood of spread .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
My PSA is 7.12 and have had no biopsies. The report also stated that there were no pathologically enlarged lymph nodes, no aggressive bone lesions and no significant pelvic free fluid. It appears,then, that disease is confined to the prostate and not aggressive....at least at this point in time.
What would the more accepted protocol for treat this situation, in your opinion. Don't fear, as I only want this information to illuminate my own understanding.

Thanks so very much for your help, Dr. XXXXXXX
Take good care, XXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You seem to have organ confined cancer of Prostate .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

With given report there are two options of treatment
1) Radical Prostatectomy followed by Androgen depletion therapy.
or
2) Radiotherapy followed by Androgen Depletion therapy .

Your Urologist would be the best judge to decide the modality of treatment depending upon the availability of various technologies involved and his expertise .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX

What is my longevity using eithjer of these options as opposed to just monitoring
the situation in the coming months. Just an estimate, please. This will be my last inquiry.

Thanks again.

By the way, the size of the nodule is 6mm. Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
- XXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to predict survival period ,

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Cancer of the Prostate is a very slow going cancer and survival depends totally upon the grade of cancer and the speed at it gets spread to distant places like bones or to regional lymph nodes and modality of treatment that is being taken .

Left untreated survival period can be expected to be 3-4 years.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..