Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Type 1 diabetic. Noticed blood in urine and having stomach pain under rib cage. Any advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I am a type 1 diabetic for 16 year now, and I have a lot of problems going on at once. First my sugar has been dropping with no warning and I blackout causing severe migraines. Second I have blood in my urine but it can only be seen under a microscope with no bacteria and I'm not sure if I should be worried about this. Plus i really have to push to urinate. Third I have been having these horrible stomach pains right under my rib cage. And I mean horrible pains. I'm not sure really who to see next because my endocrinologist said I should keep my a1c at 7.5. And the only thing that sort of works for my pain is stadol ns. Please advise
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Bleeding in urine which is seen by microscope only is called as microscopic hematuria.
Since you have pain in urinnation along with pain abdomen under right rib age suggests the presence of either kidney stones or bladder inflammation.
The other cause of your problem could be kidney damage resulting from long standing diabetes and hypertension called as diabetic nephropathy.
Since you are repeatedly getting drop in blood sugar levels ,it indicates a possibility of diabetic nephropathy resulting in hypoglycaemic attacks.
You require a thorough check up by your doctor which includes
Hemogram,urine culture,24 hour urine protein estimation to look for proteinuria,kidney function tests,Ultrasound abdomen,CT abdomen and possible cystoscopy ,blood sugar fasting and PP etc.
Once the cause is found,a proper treatment can be instituted.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor