Two years ago, I had a painless swelling like a

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2017
Apr 2017
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Two years ago, I had a painless swelling like a boil near my anus and I thought it was piles but it was about an inch away from the anus went away after about 6 months, however since then I continued to have some light itching around the anus.
Recently, I saw a doctor and mentioned about the itching and some light but bad odor from my nose when I wake up in the morning. He prescribed an anti fungal cream and said the nose odor could be because of the CPAP sleep apnea machine mask I am using. After about 10 days of applying the cream ( irregularly), I now have a new boil near the anus. It does not have any pus or head, looks like a swelling.

Could this be staphylococcus aureus infection in my nose and around the anal area?
What treatment do you recommend?
There is no pain, but it feels a bit uncomfortable sitting down for more than 10 mins in one place.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Lump
Follow-up: Two years ago, I had a painless swelling like a 9 minutes later
I forgot to mention, I have no fever.
I have been reading that coffee and chocolate can cause irritation around the anus. I consume one very strong cup of coffee ( 2 tsp decaf and one tsp caf) daily and eat a piece of exta dark bitter 72% cocoa daily

Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible bacterial or fungal infection peri anal region .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* Boil near anal area seems to be bacterial or fungal infection most likely ( which
can be present in absence of fever ) .

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely .

1. Swelling - size , shape , any alteration of overlying skin color , temperature .
2. Any systemic illness as diabetes or else present or not .
3. Bowel movements disturbances if any .
4. If possible and no objection a photo picture of the swelling as an attachment
in follow up conversation .

Awaiting for your response .

Regards .

Follow-up: Two years ago, I had a painless swelling like a 3 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Here are the answers to your additional questions:
1) Swelling is the size of a pea, round shape, same skin color as the area around it, same as body temperature.
2) No other illness. In overall good shape. Just completed annual physical.
3) Bowel movements are normal, however I do have two bowel movements a day- Morning is normal and in the afternoon the quantity of stools is small.
4) I have attached a picture showing the book that is above the anus.

Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
guidelines for boil provided .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome for follow up .

Thanks for the additional details and clear photograph .

* This is most likely bacterial infection giving boil development .

* Guidelines for present

- Sitz bath ( sitting in a tub filled with lukewarm water added epsom salt 3 times
a day )
- Keep the part clean with antiseptic liquid .
- Continue the anti fungal cream used currently .
- Check to have smooth bowel movements with high fiber diet .
- Avoid prolong sitting on hard surfaces , long drives .
- In our clinic we recommend antibiotics of cephalosporin group for fast resolution
for which you will require prescription of your doctor .

Wishing you fine recovery .

Welcome for any further assistance .
Regards .

Follow-up: Two years ago, I had a painless swelling like a 22 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
I saw a dermatologist today. He said it is a cyst and it is best to get it surgically removed as a more permanent solution. He also said he could prescribe antibiotics and that may be a temporary solution, but I opted for that.

Thanks for your help!

Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome for follow up .

* I recommend for antibiotics at this stage and see the resolution along with other
measures for some time , as there is chance of recurrence of the cyst even after
surgery in some cases .

Regards .