Twitching sensation in chest and acid reflux. Any treatment?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hey I been having this twitching on the left side of my chest for a few days now. It doesn't happen at a certain time or after a certain thing I do just happens through out the day. I have no really chest pains accept from my Acid reflux from time to time. Any ideas??? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 29 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

There are many possibilities but considering your age, I would like to consider following possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Stress and Anxiety: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist. These conditions also increase acid reflux.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use, specially alcohol (so stop use if present)
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Dehydration
•     Electrolyte imbalance secondary to other condition like hormonal imbalance or kidney dysfunction (least likely)

Symptoms of stress/anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm (present as twitch), heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Let me know if you have some of these symptoms.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Yes doc I have been worrying about my health after the whole acid reflex thing I have been nervous easy tired since I don't get much sleep because a night person but have no problem going are staying sleep. Headache yes but not overwhelming I guess more of a light headed feeling but only after I am thinking about the twitching in my chest also the body heaviness as far as my chest and the dry mouth yes And I'm sorry but the twitching is a actually on the right side not the left if that helps Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

From further information it is clear that you have multiple symptoms of stress and anxiety. Although get evaluated to rule out other possibilities as mentioned in primary reply.

Following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Stop substance use (if present)
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)
-Cognitive behavior therapy (form of structured counseling) from clinical psychologist.

If not relieved with above measures, you may require help of medicines after evaluation by psychiatrist.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 42 minutes later
Ok thanks doc I will begin the diet and morning walk and just to be clear on the substance thing would marijuana be considered because I notice after I intake it comes along stronger sometimes
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, it best stop marijuana as it increases anxiety symptoms.

Wish you good health.
Regards.