Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Trying to quit smoking. Feeling shortness of breath and chest pain. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
Hi I smoke M . I am trying to stop. Lately I have had a pain in the center of my chest. And the last 4 days a bad shortness of breath. When I stand up to fast.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

M contains cannabis which is frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

It is good that you had stopped M use.

If you stop M after long term use, you can develop some withdrawal symptoms in form of anxiety, restlessness, insomnia and decrease appetite.

Anxiety can lead to chest pain due to muscle pain (like we develop headache in tension), choking sensation and increase acid secretion (which may cause pain in epigastric and chest region). Short term (1-2 week) treatment of anxiety with long acting benzodiazepines and antacid will help you, which you can take after prescription from physician. Also take vitamin XXXXXXX diet like fruits and milk.

As your age is 54, so it is better to rule out cardiac illness also to be in safer side.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor