Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Taking fluconazole for candidiasis. Will it effect the baby if I get pregnant?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
Question 33 years old married. we are trying to conceive our first child since 5 months. i was put on duphaston due to luteal defect and then this cycle pcos was seen in an ultrasound and i was put on clomid since 18th september till 22nd september. i got a positive opk on the 25th , we had sex on the 26th. i had been suffering from an yeast infection since the last few months. my gynaec put me on a single oral dose of flucos 150mg. it recurred. then a skin specialist diagnosed chronic candidiasis and recommended that we skip trying to conceive this cycle. i started treatment from the 27th. iam currently taking fluconazole 50mg uptil 14 days,applying flucos gel. my query is this: i am worried that the single sexual contact we had may result in conception. and after reading of adverse effects of fluconazole on foetus iam very very worried about what we should do. if my luteal defect prevails then the embryo will not attach. but if it does and i get a positive test what are my options? are there any tests to detect early defects in the baby? what would be your advice in this scenario. thank you
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Category D drug in pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
Usually single dose of fluconazole for vaginal infection comes under category C drug in pregnancy.
But if fluconazole is taken for few days for skin infections, that comes under category D drug according to FDA.
So the possibility of fetal risk is there.
The possibility of pregnancy due to single act of intercourse is less.
Anyhow you wait for your expected date of periods.
If you miss the periods, go for blood test for pregnancy or wait for one week and go for urine pregnancy test.
If the test comes positive, consult gynecologist once and go for ultrasound.
Then if you want to continue the pregnancy, you have to continue with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.
Ultrasound examinations at 11 to 12 weeks and TIFFA (Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) scan at around 18 to 20 weeks are mandatory to detect any possible anomalies.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Taking fluconazole for candidiasis. Will it effect the baby if I get pregnant? 6 hours later
could you tell me what may be the recorded defects that could occur in the baby in this scenario? thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
bracycephaly, cleft palate etc.

Detailed Answer:
The possible defects are : bracycephaly, abnormal facies, abnormal calvareal development, cleft palate, femoral bowing, thin bones, congenital heart disease etc. All these may not be seen in every infant exposed but possibility is there.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor