Will the presence of a cleft lip hamper speaking in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby is now 21 months old, she can walk, run and creating various sound.
Only She speak Mama and baba, we are trying to teach her many wards but still she can't do that.
As she born with Cleft Lip and palate....will it affect her speaking?
When She Start Speaking properly?
I have observed my nephew of the same age she can speak lots but my baby can't.
Please suggest me what to do.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please get her cleft palate and cleft lip surgery done and speech therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. Cleft palate and lip can definitely cause delayed speech.

I suggest you go ahead with cleft lip and cleft palate surgery as soon as possible and then definitely she will need speech therapy too.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth