Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Treatment for immovable lump at base of skull and neck pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have started to get this neck pain and as I was rubbing it I noticed I had a golf ball size bump at the base of my skull... I thought it was a knot but it does not move and maybe like an infection but there is no fluid
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such lump can be a lymph node (which is can be present in this area), or benign skin lesion like sebaceus cyst or lipoma. Lymph node is usually related to the recent infection of close to it area. Lymph node is usually smooth and movable. Sebaceus cyst and lipoma are quite soft lumps. Both can be present in any skin area. Sebaceus cyst can give pain when infected. Lipoma does not hurt at all. Both lumps do not give any cancer risk. The best way to diagnose it is to have an ultrasound of this area. In case of lymph node, biopsy might be necessary. Lipoma or cyst can be removed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor