Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Treatment for fungal infection

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 184 Questions
i have a fungal problem
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
I would be able to guide you better if you can share the following details with me:
1.What is the site where you have the problem?
2.Do you have any rash?
3. Do you have any itching or scaling or pustules on the rash?
4. Do you have pain?
5. What is the size of the lesion?
6. What are the medicines you have used and using at present?
7. Do you have any other health problem?
Please get back with the above details, so that i can give you a better answer.

Awaiting your reply

Dr Sai XXXXXXX Koonamsetty
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Treatment for fungal infection 31 minutes later
dear sir
i have a fungal problem in my under the pennies area , it is there from past 15 years, but i used medicines before 12 year from that i am not use any medicines, only i use detol soaps and ham mam soaps,last year i used DK gel also , when i am using dk gel that itching and rashes are cure but in that part swt is there that give bad smell,
so in under the pennies part itching is coming rarely, not daily, skin is change white color , some skin split and blood came on that.
the fungal infection is exactly on Both thigh starting . and under the pennies and testes under. some time it give some smell and oily swt
Answered by Dr. Sairajesh Koonamsetty 24 minutes later
Thanks for the information provided.
Based on the information provided you seem to have Taenia cruris( superficial fungal infection of groin and scrotum extending on to thighs).
Superficial fungal skin infection is common in genital area, as it is moist due to excessive sweating.
The skin colour has changed due to recurrent infections and scratching.
Using antifungal creams like Triben plus or Lobate GM ( these are freely available in the market and are provided over the counter)will definitely help you. It might take one to 2 weeks for the infection to clear. If the itching is very severe, you can use Tablet Levocetrizine 10 mg once daily for as long as you have the itching.
Along with this you need to follow the following instructions
1. Try to keep the area as dry as possible ( this might be difficult because you might have noticed that temperatures in Hyderabad are soaring high unlike last few years. But try to do that)

2. Try not to scratch much as scratching aggravates the infection and may result in splitting of skin and bleeding.

3. Use Cotton inner wear only. Do not wear too tight underwear as tight underwear causes excessive sweating.

4. Avoid wearing Underwear at nights so as to facilitate air circulation around genital area and this keeps it dry.

5. Wash your inner wear in hot water. If possible, add antiseptic solution like dettol to it.

If it does not get better in 2 weeks, please see a dermatologist. Coming to the problem of bad smell. You cannot do much about it as it is common due to the secretions of local sebaceous glands and the dead skin. What all you can do to avoid is thorough washing of the genital area especially around the hood of penis( this is site where smegma collects and gives you bad smell).

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Further doubts, feel free to ask and your doubts shall be cleared in detail.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Take care
Dr Sai XXXXXXX Koonamsetty
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor