question-icon

Treatment for cold and sore throat after car accident during pregnancy?

Posted on Sun, 9 Mar 2014
Question: I am 7 months pregnant. I got in a car accident about a week ago. It was really cold the night I got in the car accident and the window crashed and the car was totaled. It took the paramedics 20 minutes to cut the door to get me out. I went to hospital and they said the baby and myself were okay. The next day I got a really bad cold. And about 5 days later I noticed I had a non-itchy rash on my outer thigh about the size of a silver dollar. It has not spread and has reduced a little bit. But it has dark red marks. I called the doctor two days ago and she told me to take BENADRYL and if the rash did not go away in 3 days to see the doctor. Meanwhile I still have a cold and had a sore throat that is going away. I am just concerned about the baby and want to make sure everything is okay
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer: baby should be fine Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX If the ultrasound was fine after the accident then there should be no problem with your pregnancy . Keep count of your fetal movements and general health . Your cold should not affect the pregnancy . But if it doesn't resolve soon then start antibiotics . Take steam inhalation with menthol thrice a day . You can also take benadryl but short term use is recommended . As for the rash it's unlikely to be related . Looks like a local inflammation . Apply alone vera . If it doesn't resolve soon then you may need an antibiotic /steroid ointment . Eczema of certain kinds may be seen in pregnancy . As long as it's localized it should not cause a problem . I however suggest you have a dermatologist take a look at it. Keep taking to prenatal vitamins as usually .
Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN