Took clyndomiacin for abscess tooth. Why there is a swelling in my jaw?

Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I have an abscess tooth I was prescribed clyndomiacin....I took the medicine for two days I had an emergency and had to go out of town an I forgot my medicine.I was away for seven days.when I returned I started back on my medicine.I woke up two days later and my jaw was swollen.I went to the er this morning and they lances it.the swelling has not gone at all.I went to my dentist and they said the swelling should have gone down some..to I have something to be worried about?
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Persisting swelling can either be the results of inflammation or persisting residual infection.

I would like to inform you that if you have abscess & swelling in your tooth, medicines and incision drainage are only the initial treatment that gives temporary relief. Permanent treatment will includes-
1. Proper clinical evaluation.
2. X-ray of concerned tooth.

After proper clinical examination and x-ray, the treatment can be completed by-
1. If tooth can be saved - root canal treatment.
2. If tooth cannot be saved - extraction (treatment of choice).

Swelling will subside after proper treatment only.

Therefore presence of swelling suggests me that treatment isn't yet complete. I will suggest you please visit back to your dentist and discuss about the above mentioned options and plan further treatment as soon as possible.

Mean while you can follow following -
1. Do not sleep to the affected area.
2. Do not perform warm saline rinses.
3. Do not perform hot fomentation.
4. Do not smoke and drink.

Hope this answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad