Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Took clyndomiacin for abscess tooth. Why there is a swelling in my jaw?

Answered by
Dr. Gunjan Gupta


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 370 Questions

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I have an abscess tooth I was prescribed clyndomiacin....I took the medicine for two days I had an emergency and had to go out of town an I forgot my medicine.I was away for seven days.when I returned I started back on my medicine.I woke up two days later and my jaw was swollen.I went to the er this morning and they lances it.the swelling has not gone at all.I went to my dentist and they said the swelling should have gone down I have something to be worried about?
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Persisting swelling can either be the results of inflammation or persisting residual infection.

I would like to inform you that if you have abscess & swelling in your tooth, medicines and incision drainage are only the initial treatment that gives temporary relief. Permanent treatment will includes-
1. Proper clinical evaluation.
2. X-ray of concerned tooth.

After proper clinical examination and x-ray, the treatment can be completed by-
1. If tooth can be saved - root canal treatment.
2. If tooth cannot be saved - extraction (treatment of choice).

Swelling will subside after proper treatment only.

Therefore presence of swelling suggests me that treatment isn't yet complete. I will suggest you please visit back to your dentist and discuss about the above mentioned options and plan further treatment as soon as possible.

Mean while you can follow following -
1. Do not sleep to the affected area.
2. Do not perform warm saline rinses.
3. Do not perform hot fomentation.
4. Do not smoke and drink.

Hope this answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Dental extraction

doctor1 MD

I underwent angioplasty in Feb 2008 and 2 stents were placed. I am on cardace 10, stamlo 5, clopact 75,ecosprin 150 and atorvastin Ez (all one tab each). I require a tooth extraction for which the dentist has advised to stop ecosprin 150 for 5 days before the extraction. A cardiologust advised me to have ecosprin 75 daily instead of 150 strength for the 5 days. Another said as the angio aws in 2008Feb I can stopp the ecospin maybe 2 days before extraction. the dentist has agrred to stoppage of ecosprin 3 days before extaction which includes the day of extraction. What am I to do. Should I get a blood clotting test done? ( before or after stopping ecosprin?) Since clopact is for thinning blood, should I stop that too?

doctor1 MD

I am a 67 year old female. Have been on amoxicillin 500mg 3-times a day for nine days now for a tooth extraction and bone graft. Also, take niaspan 1500 mg a nite. And was on ibubrofen 3x500mg 3 times a day for 4 days. Been off that for 3 days now. Today my fecus was green. Not sure if it was due to the fresh herbs in the chicken last nite or to the amoxicillin. Is this dangerous?

doctor1 MD

I had a tooth break during extraction, the root has remained in my upper jaw for years, maybe 8 years. From time to time my gum gets tender and sore and there seems to be what looks like a white head, way up on the gums. Most of the time it doesnt bother me. My dentist has been keeping an eye on it and x-rays it from time to time. He says it is very painful to have that root removed and doesn't advise it. He has never seen the whitehead thing as it goes away quickly. I have been having a lot of trouble with my blood pressure. Presently taking 3 meds and still too high, at worst 150/90, doctors are looking into possible causes. Any chance that broken off tooth root could be part of it? I understand rotten teeth or gums can lead to a stroke or heart attack. I take good care of my teeth and gums with routine brushing and dental visits, but have had to have a lot of work done on my teeth and now they tend to crack. I am 65, female.

doctor1 MD

Is it safe to take MDMA (Molly) the night before anaesthesia to get wisdom teeth removed?

doctor1 MD

The left side of my face is paralyzed after molar #4 was removed about 26 hrs. ago. B0th Dr. and Dentist offices closed early today. Should I go to emergency room?

doctor1 MD

After many years of being just not right, but never really ill and disappointing doctor visits, I found out that the most possible explanation for all my little symptoms are most likely Histaminosis. I have my remaining teeth removed beginning of...