Took Vyvanse for sinus. Feeling weak, memory problem and fluid in ear. Taking valium. Any ideas?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes please. I have had a complicated medical history the past 3 months. I'm normally very healthy. Started with strep, sinus, and inner ear infection. Meds prior were, and are Vyvanse and Effexor.
Fluid in the ear and severe vertigo. Lost my sight briefly had weakness in arms All other symptoms have stopped except vertigo and some memory problems
MRI clear and EKG good. Taking Valium as a vestibular suppressant. Could Vyvanse be a problem?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is reassuring to note that your MRI brain is normal.

The most likely cause for your symptoms could be a TIA (transient ischemic attack), where the blood supply to the brain is reduced for a short period of time.

Please get screened for diabetes, high BP, cholesterol, homocysteine (as they are the common risk factors for TIA), if these are not already done.

Vyvanse may cause dizziness but your other symptoms are unlikely to be due to this drug.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist