Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

What causes temporary memory loss in a 70 year old?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15310 Questions
I'm 70 and in good general health. But yesterday as I was going into the YMCA to work out, I couldn't figure out how to get through the turnstile. For months all I needed to do was scan a barcode on my key chain and I would be allowed in. But I suddenly had no clue what to do. I walked around for a while and by fumbling in my pocket pulled out my keys. I saw the small plastic bar code with the YMCA insignia and assumed it may have something to do with entry. I waved it past the scanner and the turnstile let me in. But it took me many minutes before I understood the process. I'm a recently retired business executive. This was scary.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I can imagine.

Temporary memory loss or confusion can be related to different causes. In most persons, the serious is usually considered first, that would be a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or minor stroke.

Symptoms last a short period of time and then the person returns to normal.
This would usually occur in persons with risk factors for stroke such as persons with---- high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, smokers, overweight/obese, family history of heart disease.

Controlling these risk factors (good sugars, blood pressure, cholesterol, no smoking, exercise and diet changes), would help. Aspirin would also be needed.

Other causes would be---(1)head injury
(2)low blood pressure
(3)low blood sugar
(4)side effect of medication
(5)seizure disorder- unlikely if no previous history
(6)mass in the brain- also rare cause
(7)dehydration or electrolyte disturbance

In most persons there is no serious underlying cause.

You can consider seeing your doctor for an assessment

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor