What causes temporary memory loss in a 70 year old?

Excellent

Question
I'm 70 and in good general health. But yesterday as I was going into the YMCA to work out, I couldn't figure out how to get through the turnstile. For months all I needed to do was scan a barcode on my key chain and I would be allowed in. But I suddenly had no clue what to do. I walked around for a while and by fumbling in my pocket pulled out my keys. I saw the small plastic bar code with the YMCA insignia and assumed it may have something to do with entry. I waved it past the scanner and the turnstile let me in. But it took me many minutes before I understood the process. I'm a recently retired business executive. This was scary.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I can imagine.

Temporary memory loss or confusion can be related to different causes. In most persons, the serious is usually considered first, that would be a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or minor stroke.

Symptoms last a short period of time and then the person returns to normal.
This would usually occur in persons with risk factors for stroke such as persons with---- high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, smokers, overweight/obese, family history of heart disease.

Controlling these risk factors (good sugars, blood pressure, cholesterol, no smoking, exercise and diet changes), would help. Aspirin would also be needed.

Other causes would be---(1)head injury
(2)low blood pressure
(3)low blood sugar
(4)side effect of medication
(5)seizure disorder- unlikely if no previous history
(6)mass in the brain- also rare cause
(7)dehydration or electrolyte disturbance

In most persons there is no serious underlying cause.

You can consider seeing your doctor for an assessment

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions