Can Aspirin treat sudden episodes of speaking gibberish?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My wife had a sudden episode of speaking gibberish. It lasted for a few minutes and ended. Our Doctor isn't available until next Tuesday. She took an aspirin. She forgot her blood pressure medicine this morning and has just taken it now. Is there anything we should do before next Tuesday?

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
She should get investigated & treated immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Rbmcm 9999,
Thanks for query. I understand your concern.
It seems your wife had a transient ischemic attack.. due to sudden drop in blood supply to brain .
High blood pressure is one of the causes for the condition - & your wife had dropped her blood pressure medicine.... so that may be the cause of her symptoms....In TIA the symptoms are mostly transient That is why her symptoms lasted for few minutes only. It's good that she has taken Aspirine...it helps to avoid blood clotting. Let her continue taking Aspirine & her routine blood pressure medicine till expert's advice .
In present scenario.... though she does not have any problem, in order to prevent unpredictable recurrence before her doctor is available.. . it's better to get her checked -
- Check & control her blood pressure as per need.
- cholesterol level & her clotting ability
- ECG to know about any heart problem created by high blood pressure,
- Ultrasound of neck to detect Condition of artery to brain ( Carotid artery.)
* In this context she should consult a physician for confirming the diagnosis & follow the advise given... he may order for MRI / CT scan of brain for further study as per results of primary investigations.
She may need some addition to her medicines to prevent such complaint in future & earlier it is started is better.
* Self care (in addition to to medicines), has important role in prevention of TIA in long run .Let her-
- Have controlled blood sugar ( if she has diabetes)/ lower extra body weight.
- Stop smoking/ taking alcohol/ Use of drugs like cocaine
- A well balanced diet with salt restriction, plenty of vegetables, fruits,salads.Avoiding extra fats in diet
- Regular moderate exercises( walking for 30-45 minutes a day )
* So in short she should get primary investigations & expert's advise before her doctor is available.
I hope that helps you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.