Took Nadolol. Stopped after severe reaction. Taking Corgard. What year was Nadolol first put on the market?

Posted on Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been taking Corgard for many years. When Nadolol first came on the market, a pharmacist suggested I try it and filled my Corgard script for Nadolol. I tried it and had a severe reaction so I stopped it; and have been taking Corgard ever since.
My question is: in what year was Nadolol first put on the market either by XXXXXXX or the company from India? I would appreciate your help very much!
Thank you!
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns; XXXXXXX marketed nadolol starting in 2011; Corgard was available before that time. For congestive heart failure, the best betablockers in terms of long term outcomes are metoprolol, carvedilol and bisoprolol.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance XXXXXXX

Dr. Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Cardiology
Follow up: Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Dear Dr. Brenes-Salazar,
I know I tried Nadolol many years ago and that is when I had the reaction. Can you tell me when the company in India started marketing it? That must have been the one I used the one time I tried the generic.
Thank you very much! XXXXXXX Knopping
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 20 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Tracking back the pharmaceutical records it seems that Emcure Pharmaceuticals in India has been producing nadolol for more than a decade, and XXXXXXX pharmaceuticals have repackaged for distribution since 2011; thus I believe that if you tried the old one from Emcure, it has the same formulation and excipients than the XXXXXXX one.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester
Cardiology
Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist