Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Tonsil asymmetry, chest pains, difficulty breathing, arm numbness, losing motor skills. MRI, chest X-ray, EKG normal. Tonsillitis or cancer ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
HI I have assymmetry in my tonsils for months now. But recently i started having chest pains and trouble breathing. ONe tonsil is way down and is deflated and the other is way up and is inflammated. My arm is also numbing for the past two weeks. I had removed failed and infected implants. I have seen so many doctors and no one seems to know the answer. Which doctors should i see. What do you think is this condition? Also I have been dizzy and losing some motor skills since the surgery 6 weeks ago. And it seems to be getting worse. I had an MRI done and a chest x XXXXXXX and EKG and all look fine. Could this be tonsillitis or cancer? I am going to see a pulmanologist today but in case he doesnt see anything, which has been my experience. What would be my next step.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all let me reassure you that I do not think there is any type of cancer going on. Your body is right now in a significant state of inflammation related to the recent surgery. The fact that you had infection associated with the implants makes recovery more prolonged.

There may also be a component of inflammation going on. Inflammation can create a number of symptoms including swelling, fatigue, pain, dizziness among others. For you it is critically important to have a very good General XXXXXXX medicine specialist coordinating all of your care.

For the symptoms you have reported it is also important to have screening bloodwork performed including a complete blood cell count and metabolic profile. There are also inflammatory markers which can be followed via laboratory tests. These inflammatory markers include Erythrocyte sedimentation rate or ESR in addition to CRP. If these levels are elevated they can be followed over a period of time to assure that the levels improve or decrease.

Your body is under a tremendous amount of stress both mentally and physically and I think it will take some time for things to slowly get better. I would estimate at least 6 to 8 weeks before you can start to feel back to normal. In the meantime you might touch base with a good general XXXXXXX medicine specialist or possibly a rheumatologist if there is concern for prolonged inflammation. You also want to make sure that your thyroid gland and adrenal gland are functioning appropriately. It is also important to make sure there is no infection in the blood so maybe a blood sample could be checked for a chronic infection.

I thank you very much again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor