Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

177 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Test showed high SGOT and AST level. What should I do to reduce it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1826 Questions
Dear Doctor

I am 46 years old male in good health. I do not smoke and occasionally drink alcohol. My recent SGOT / AST is 65 while the limit is 15-46. Kindly let me know is it ok or what I should do to reduce it ? Also my colesteroll level and LDL colesterol is high, request guidence on the same. Thank you.
My eamil id: YYYY@YYYY

Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 51 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.
Though the AST is raised, it is not significantly raised.
Alcohol intake can cause it.

I would like to know whether ultrasound scan of the abdomen was done. If yes, what was the report.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Test showed high SGOT and AST level. What should I do to reduce it? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. RK

Thank you for the review.

Kindly let me know wether the raise in SGOT is due to higher LDL / Colesterol ?

Abdomen scan was not done during the recent medical check up.

Please let me know how to reduce the Colesterol and SGOT level and bring it within normal level.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
SGOT does not raise due to high LDL and cholesterol.
In your case, it is raised only slightly above normal and we consider significant only if it is raised more than two times the upper limit of normal. The other enzymes are also within normal limits. So you can ignore this mild increase in SGOT level.
For reducing cholesterol you may have to change your dietary habit . You have to reduce intake of fatty food and you may need medications like statins for bringing down the cholesterol levels. You can discuss with your doctor regarding this medication and for prescription.
I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist