Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Taking veltam 0.4 for a long time and unable to ejaculate during intercourse. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 1663 Questions
I have been taking veltam 0.4 for the last 5 years is it ok because i have not seen my doctor since then and also during sex i do not ejaculate
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

Veltam contains Tamsulosin which is an alpha blocker.
You can take this medicine as long as you want conservative treatment for benign enlargement of prostate and as long as you tolerate this medicine without side effects.
Problem with sex are side effects of all alpha blockers (Tamsulosin is no exception) which include problem with erection ,and retrograde ejaculation which means ejaculation into bladder ,that is what probably happening with you.

Ideally you should visit your Doctor every six months who may advice you to continue the medicine or stop it depending upon your clinical condition.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Take care
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor