Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Taking ursodiol but the dosage was wrongly filled by pharmacy. Will the elevated dosage will be harmful?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 507 Questions
i have been taking 500mg of ursodiol twice a day for a month but the dosage was wrongly filled by the pharmacy. I should have been taking only 300mg twice a day. Will the elevated dosage hurt me in any way.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Omer 26 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

Ursodiol contains urodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) , and comes in 250 mg , 300 mg , 500 mg

Usual dose of UDCA is 10-15 mg / kg in divided 2 doses

This drug reduces cholesterol absorption and is used to dissolve (cholesterol) gallstones in patients who want an alternative to surgery.

It is the only FDA approved drug to treat primary biliary cirrhosis( due to diabetes).

It is also used for Prevention of gallstones in obese patients experiencing rapid weight loss

Following are the common side effects of UDCA

Central nervous system: Headache (up to 25%), dizziness (17%)

Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea (up to 27%), constipation (up to 26%), dyspepsia (17%), nausea (up to 17%), vomiting (up to 14%)

Neuromuscular & skeletal: Back pain (up to 12%)

Respiratory: symptoms i would recommend to stop taking UDCA , after consultation of your doctor

If you dont have any of the above then nothing to worry about and continue at 300 mg twice a day

Besides taking UDCA at a dose of 500 mg twice daily is a normal thing , and wont harm you in any way , even taken for a month

I hope this explains your query

Feel free to ask any further questions

TAke care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor