Taking ciclosporin. Recently changed to erythromycin. Getting itching all over the body. Reason?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking ciclosporin 50MG b.d. and have recently been put on erythromycin 400mg t.d.s. I am now having the most amazing itching - all over - and cannot stop scratching. I think the antibiotic may have made my atopic eczema worse than it was before, but I am not certain. I am now terribly susceptible to temperature, and a difference of a couple of degrees is all it takes to start the itching. I have also become bed-ridden since starting the antibiotic. Is this a coincidence, or is there a real problem here?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 46 minutes later
Hi there.
I would tend to agree with you instantaneously because dairy products & penicillin derivatives have a link & it stands to reason that erythromycin may have precipitated your itch. Please stop the medication for 48-72 hrs & all should be well or at least better. Alternatively in addition, you could use an antihistamine & my medication of choice would be 180mg fexofenadine as it is non-sedative & can be taken once a day.
However, as you are taking cyclosporine, kindly get your serum creatinine checked as if it is above normal, this may be the culprit.
All things being equal, it does not appear to be a major issue & should be easily remedied. Good Luck & Wish you a safe itch free existence. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 16 minutes later
I note that in information I have had given to me, erythromycin may "raise the concentration" of cyclosporin. Would this be what you are alluding to when you suggest I get my creatinine checked? And (as it is early on a Sunday morning here) would you suggest I check with my GP before I stop the antibiotics, or shall I simply stop them and tell him next week?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hey XXXXXXX
1. Yes to your first suggestion
2. Yes to your second question provided it has been three days & the infection it was started for is under control.
cheers!
Dr Rodrigues
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Most welcome XXXXXXX
Trust your itch better & here's to a healthy long life!
Cheers.
P.S. If you do find time, please do close the query & give us a rating/review that wud help greatly. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD