Should I discontinue oxycontin and percocet for chronic pain and how to manage my work without medication?

Dr. Preeti Parakh

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, I have a confidential question and need help to understand what I am taking; Can you help Are you there?? I have a family and need to take the steps to correct myself. I have several concerns Chronic Pain, Been on Oxycontin 80mg and percocet for brekthrough pain. Now Oxycontin has been removed in Canada and changed to OxyNeo. I need to take care of my family. My doctor after 23 years has decided to quickly cut me off these meds. I can't function at work without them and my family is dependent on my salary. I am a certified accountant. I found a doctor who has given me Ralivia 300mg but they do not seem to be working. is there a big difference as to why they are not working. I am scared for my family. They need my support. Can you help me understand.
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! You have been on opioid analgesics for a long time. Oxycontin and OxyNeo contain the same opioid oxycontin. Percocet also contains oxycodone in addition to paracetamol. You are also using fentanyl patches which is another opioid. You have not mentioned why your doctor decided to stop these medicines, but I guess that he either suspected you of abusing these medicines or maybe for some reasons, he had issues in prescribing these medicines which are strictly controlled by the government. Since you have by now become dependent on opioids, it is difficult for you to function without them. Withdrawal from opioids can last for a few weeks and is characterized by pain, insomnia, loose motions, yawning, sneezing, pupillary dilatation, rhinorrhoea, lacrimation etc. In order to counter these, the second doctor prescribed you Ralivia, which is another opioid called tramadol, though weaker than the ones you were taking. It is supposed to ease your withdrawal from the stronger opioids and later you can taper off Ralivia as well, which will be easier to quit than the other opioids. I hope you now understand what is happening. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications or have any other queries. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry