Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Taking birth control, have regular periods. Have nausea, no period, bleeding during sex, brown spotting. Pregnant?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I am on birth control, but my boyfriend and I don't use condoms. My period has always been very regular. I was supposed to start my period this week. I have been incredibly nauseated all week. It comes in waves. Finally, while having sex on Thursday, I started to bleed. Since then I have barely had any bleeding and it has been brownish in color. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 39 minutes later

With above clinical presentation, we need to rule out possible conception. Here, I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy at the earliest. For confirmation, blood test for beta hCG is advisable.

Combined birth control pill gives more than 99.5% protection against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken regularly on scheduled time. In absence of pregnancy, mental stress, weight gain, psychological factor, hormonal imbalance, pelvic infection may precipitate the same features.

Bleeding after sex is called post coital bleeding in medical term. It may be due to rough sex, blunt trauma inside vagina/ cervix, polyp etc.

Brownish color discharge is mostly associated with implantation bleeding or early miscarriage. However, pelvic or vaginal infection, old endometrial tissue, late period may cause this type of discharge.

In this circumstance, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist after doing initial tests for overall clinical examination & relevant investigations (like ultrasound scan, vaginal swab test etc) to pinpoint the diagnosis.

I prefer to use progesterone pill (like norethisterone) to induce period of my patients in the absence of pregnancy. Kindly procure a prescription from your doctor.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex. Maintain genital hygiene.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor