Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Taking antibiotic for enlarged and hard gland under jaw. Noticed small growth in armpit. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10458 Questions
Hi, I am a 26 year old male. For the last year I have had a slightly enlarged and hard gland under my right jaw. I have been prescribed antibiotics and did nothing. I have very bad tonsil stones which I have to remove on a daily basis and my throat stays a little sensitive. Within the past week or two I have noticed a growth at the right armpit area where the chest muscle connects. I am 15-20 pounds overweight yet it is twice the size as the left side. This feels kind of soft yet has a sensation as someone pushing or lightly pinching, not real pain or anything. I have just turned into a worrier ever since searching on google where everyone is diagnosed with cancer. Any advice? thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A small growth in the armpit that you describe is likely to be a swollen lymph node. The commonest cause of such a single gland enlargement is an infection in the local area.
In case the node is persistent and is more than 2 cm in size then it needs to be investigated to find out the cause as it can be due to a viral or bacterial infection, allergic reactions or some malignancy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor