Taking antibiotic for enlarged and hard gland under jaw. Noticed small growth in armpit. Cancer?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Question: Hi, I am a 26 year old male. For the last year I have had a slightly enlarged and hard gland under my right jaw. I have been prescribed antibiotics and did nothing. I have very bad tonsil stones which I have to remove on a daily basis and my throat stays a little sensitive. Within the past week or two I have noticed a growth at the right armpit area where the chest muscle connects. I am 15-20 pounds overweight yet it is twice the size as the left side. This feels kind of soft yet has a sensation as someone pushing or lightly pinching, not real pain or anything. I have just turned into a worrier ever since searching on google where everyone is diagnosed with cancer. Any advice? thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A small growth in the armpit that you describe is likely to be a swollen lymph node. The commonest cause of such a single gland enlargement is an infection in the local area.
In case the node is persistent and is more than 2 cm in size then it needs to be investigated to find out the cause as it can be due to a viral or bacterial infection, allergic reactions or some malignancy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.