Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Taking Ritalin. Having anxiety attack. How to check copper level?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6940 Questions
Hi how are you? I was on Ritalin for like a month and it made me have anxiety attacks and an stuttering that won't go away even though i'm off the drug. I know Ritalin works by reducing the absorption of copper. how can I check my copper levels? i'm afraid my family doctor might not if ask him since it's not a common deficiency. are there any accurate home test kits for copper? thanks bye.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 22 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I am good and hope the same for you.

You have mentioned that you are on Ritalin for a month and you feel that you have had anxiety attacks ever since you started with the drug.

I would advice to see your treating doctor and report him/ her the symptoms that you are experiencing.
A modification in the dose may be required.
Since, you have mentioned that you have had a history of heart failure, more caution is needed.

Ritalin is not known to interfere with copper metabolism in the body.
However, if you still want to know the blood copper levels, then you can go for serum copper levels and 24 hour copper levels in blood.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.
Do visit your treating doctor to review the dose of the drug Ritalin.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor