Taken Hepatitis vaccination during school days. Would there be any problem if I take the vaccination again?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I vaguely remember that I had taken Hepatitis vaccination during my school day, about 12-14 years back. Would there be any ramifications if I administer the vaccination again ? I am now 30 years old.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No adverse effects... Detailed Answer: Hi, I presume you are discussing about Hepatitis B vaccination. In general re-vaccinating when you have been vaccinated earlier does not cause any adverse effects. However many studies have revealed re-vaccination is not of real benefits if the individuals are hale and healthy and have no immune compromisation. If you doubt you have inadequate vaccination or no vaccination, you can test for anti Hbs antibody levels tested (quantitative test). The antibody reports will give you a fair idea whether or not you need repeat testing. You can discuss with your vaccinating doctor before you apply for vaccination. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards