Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Swollen lymph node

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
Should I get a second opinion? :

Hi Doctor,
30yo male here in very good shape and health. Recently went to my GP because I wanted his opinion on a swollen lymph node (posterior cervical) that has been swollen for at least over a year. I discovered it in Oct of 2010, but it's smaller than 1cm (possibly 8mm) and due to the lack of other symptoms, i've been putting it off. He seems to think that since it's on the smaller side and is soft (not firm), there's not much need for concern. It has not changed size or shape since i've discovered it, but i'm just wondering if I should get a second opinion about it, and see if it should be biopsied. Any thoughts? Your advice is much appreciated!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

I agree with your physician that the lymph node is not of concern. The reasons are -

1. Size less than 1 cm
2. Same in size for over a year
3. No other symptoms like fever, weight loss
4. Posterior cervical lymph nodes are often found swollen in many individual

Hence I feel there is no need for second opinion or biopsy.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor