Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Swollen bump under lip, white patch. Suffering from Bulimia nervosa and cold sores. What is it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1968
Answered : 298 Questions
hi ive got a lump on my bottom lip its like a pea under my skin its swollen with a white patch and a little bit blue tinge,i suffer from bulima and also often get cold sores but this is not a coldsore,thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 57 minutes later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

You are correct. This is not a cold-sore. This, in all probability, is mucous cyst or mucocele. It is totally benign and is not something that you need worry about.

These cysts form when the duct of a minor salivary gland become blocked. It should reduce spontaneously in the next few weeks. It should not need surgery to remove. Or certainly, I would not rush at that.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor