What does a yellowish rough mole indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I need a dermatoligist to answer this one please as im after another opinion. Im concerned about this pearly yellowish coloured rough jaggered looking mole or whatever it is. What is this?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. --How long has this lesion been present? --Is it single OR are there multiple lesions? Any history of patches of hair loss? --Any associated symptoms?Itching/pruritis Or Oozing of mucus from the lesion? take care regards
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Been present for mths now Its single No hair loss Lesion has bled once
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would advice a Scalp Biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep possibilities of either a: Seborrheoc keratosis OR Viral Wart OR Follicular mucinoses. Seborrheoic keratosis: --They start as a hyperpigmented macule and progress to the characteristic plaque. They are usually pigmented. They can be PALER in colour. --They start small (2 mm) and grow in size, up to 3 cm in diameter. Rarely, they can become very large. --Initially, lesions are velvety and soft in texture, before developing a warty surface and becoming uneven, with multiple plugged follicles. --The surface may become covered by adherent greasy scale. --The trunk is the most common site for seborrhoeic keratoses but they are also found on all sun-exposed areas (extremities, face and scalp). Warts: --Warts are local growths in the skin that are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. --They appear as smooth or rough verrucous growths(papules or patches). Follicular Mucinosis or Alopecia mucinosa: --Alopecia mucinosa is an inflammatory condition of the pilosebaceous unit. It is characterized by intrafollicular mucin deposition. --The head and neck are commonly involved. Expression of clear, mucinous fluid from follicular ostia may be elicited with application of pressure. If i was your treating doctor i would have advised a scalp biopsy from the lesion for a confirmatory histopathological diagnosis. take care regards
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist