Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Swallowed a fish bone. X-ray showed nothing. Now feeling sharp pain while swallowing. What to do?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
hi, yesterday i swolowed a fish bone, and i am not sure if it got stuck in the throught, as i feel a sharp pain when i swalow,i have been to the hospital but they could not find anything with x rays and a small telescope inserted through the nose, they think it may have gone down, do you know what i should do
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcoem to XXXXXXX
You should just wait for some time(2-3 days) and dont wory. It is important that it isnt in your respiratory tract. Even if it is in your throat or esophagus it wont cause serious damage. Just try to drink a lot water and eat bread or bananan and most of the small fish bones will get dislodged from throat and will reach your stomach.After it softens a bit it will pass through your stomach. If your symptoms persist after 2-3 days you should visit doctor again and detailed test should be done.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor