Suggest ways to wean off Methamphetamine

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: What would you recommend for medication in regards to quitting methamphetamine? Is there anything else for energy? I have found myself using methemphetamine for pain control and energy. I am a functioning meth addict and I have been this way for a little over three years. I'm afarid of the pain and the lack of energy I will endure and the inability to continue to work.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
So glad you are trying to get off the methamphetamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
The best way to get off the meth is to work closely with substance abuse counselors that are trained in helping people get off these drugs, but I can give you some general recommendations.
Work with a combination of tylenol and ibuprofen to try and control your pain. The suggestions below will also help with pain.
First if you are doing this on your own, stick to a plan of cutting down on how much and how often you are using the meth.
In addition, it will help greatly with your energy if you can get off the clonazepam and norco. Both of them cause fatigue and exhaustion.
Vitamins and diet are crucial in getting your energy replentished.
I suggest that you take a multivitamin/multimineral supplement daily. Take also a B50 vitamin twice a day and a Vitamin C 1000mg twice a day.
Eat lean meats and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
Sugars, sodas and lots of carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, rice) will drain away your energy and make sleep more difficult.
Next you must exercise daily. This can be just walking for 20-30 minutes a day but it is really important. Aerobic exercise has been proven to decrease pain and stiffness in people with RA. Yoga or stretching can also help with pain.
Water is really the only thing I would recommend that you drink and it needs to be about 8 8oz glasses a day. If you drink things with caffeine it will give you some quick energy but just like with the sugar you will be more exhausted when it wears off.
I wish you great success,
Dr. Robinson