Suggest ways to rule out kidney stone

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Thought i was I was having another kidney stone but not sure now. Lower abdomen sore and testicular area.
Worse in the mornings. Especially when I get up and down or twist.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other causes of the pain should be considered also- explained

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read you.r question and understand your concern.

Kidney stone can cause pain when it is moving in the "tubes" and pain might radiate in the lower abdomen and sometimes in the testicle of that side. Generally that pain does not get worse with movement though as it is a radiated pain and it is not a "real pain" in those areas.
Because you have pain with movements like getting up or down or twisting than it does not seem to be due to a kidney stone but probably due to a muscle or abdominal organ pain like bowel.

I would say that it is good to drink plenty as it might help if a stone is present and is good for health in general. A urinalysis would be helpful to check for any possible changes in the urine.
Taking something for pain like ibuprofen and paracetamol might be tried but if no improvement or the pain comes back or gets worse you should quickly see your doctor.
You will need to examine yourself and check for any mass in the groin area to rule out any herniated bowel. Sometimes if it is in the first stages it can not be seen easily by the patient and you might need to see a doctor to rule it out. Your doctor might ask for an abdominal ultrasound to rule out bowel hernia, it would identify a kidney stone in some cases also. You might be asked also a testicular ultrasound to evaluate your testicles and possible reasons for discomfort there.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact us in care more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,
Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj