• question-icon

Suggest ways to rule out a bicornuate uterus

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My daughter in law was told she had a bicornuate uterus. She has had 2 still born deliveries. She has had a complete work up since at the UIHC and was told she "didn't have a bicornuate uterus" and was given the go ahead to try again to conceive. She is now 12 weeks pregnant and was told again she has a bicornuate uterus and that they see a blood clot, AGAIN , in one side of her uterus. The heart ache my son has now is in-describable. As he said, if they weren't told by a physician to go a head and try for a successful pregnancy they would have never put themselves through this again! Please, if you could tell me what the chances are of a viable birth if any? Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bicornuate uterus has around 55-60% chance of delivering viable baby

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Bicornuate uterus means there are two horns in uterus separated by a septum. (uterus will be heart shaped). Chance of miscarriage with a bicornuate uterus is around 30-35%.Around 60% of pregnancies will result in delivery of live baby. f the pregnancies that do not result in miscarriage, there is 25% chance of preterm delivery.
Blood clots are commonly seen in one of the horns in bicornuate uterus, usually the non-pregnant horn. The clot will either be absorbed by the body or passed out through the vagina.

Pregnancy with bicornuate uterus, require progesterone supplementation. It is recommended to start progesterone shots as early as possible.
It is also required to undergo close monitoring and supervision by a Gynecologist, as pregnancy is considered high risk. The risk of cervical incompetency is high and require close monitoring.

Please be advised to follow up closely with a gynecologist and get progesterone shots.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal