Suggest ways to overcome allergy to eggs

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My 10.5 month old baby had an allergic reaction to egg on 13th September. His ears swelled up and were extremely red and he developed a rash on his body. He was rushed to hospital and given piriton. After he was given medication he vomitted and also had diarohhea.

On 18th September (5 days later) he woke up with what looked like a bruise on his ear. This then appeared on the other side but only a very small amount. His ear was swollen and are purplish / blueish in colour.

Are the 2 linked and what can it be?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The present skin lesions can be due to delayed hypersensitivity reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to HCM

I can understand your concern.I have gone through the images.The skin lesions are characteristic of allergic reaction.Recent images show improvement in the reaction except the ear lesion.
The hypersensitivity reaction can be of immediate and/or delayed type.
Immediate reactions are more serious and may be life threatening which appears within 24 hours of the exposure to allergen;while the delayed reaction which appears after 3-4 days are mostly limited to skin lesions or there may be diarrhea.
The ear rash in your baby's case is most likely a delayed hypersensitivity reaction.
I would like to continue giving antiallergic like Piritone.Adding oral steroid like prednisolone will help in early recovery from the skin lesion(please get it prescribed by a physician as it is a prescription medicine).
Avoid egg/egg products and observe the skin lesion.If you notice any rapid increase in the lesion/swelling,any breathing problem or loose stool consult your pediatrician immediately.

Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 minutes later
Hi

What is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction?

I'm being told it is a bruise and has been inflicted by someone. However, I know this is not the case. I am so concerned about what has happened and I'm being branded as a "abusive" mother.

The so called bruising only appeared on the 18th September, yet all week he had been pulling at and tugging his ears.

What could have caused this 5 days later?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Delayed hypersenstivity reaction is a part of allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
In case of sudden appearance of bruise like lesion in the ear when there is no history of any trauma/hurt;delayed hypersensitivity reaction must be ruled out(particularly when there is recent history of allergy).It is a common condition in egg allergy;so must be kept in mind.
Delayed hypersensitivity reaction is nothing but a part of allergic reaction which occurs 3-4 days after the exposure to the allergen.
If this would has been a traumatic bruise why the similar lesion appeared on the other side(without any history of trauma).

My suggestion;continue with the medication and observe the skin changes.