Suggest ways to manage withdrawal symptoms while weaning off Subutex

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I was on 2 mg of Subutex and stopped for 6 days, I went through terrible withdrawls and still was feeling horrible on the 6th day, I used some valium to sleep. My doctor gave me 60 10/325 percocet...will this help me continue to withdrawl and how should I do it. I need to work

He is a pain Doctor and thought it would be better to change now as the subutex does not help w pain. I have never misused the percocets before.
How can it worsen the withdrawal?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I would absolutely not use Percocet to avoid opioid withdrawal. Aside from the fact that this an illegal misuse of a controlled substance, Percocet is immediate-release whereas Subutex is a delayed release, so they are not at all equivalent. Abusing Percocet would result in rapid addiction, tolerance, and worsened withdrawals. Talk to your prescribing doctor about resuming Subutex.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It can worsen withdrawal because it acts quickly and leaves the system quickly, whereas Subutex stays in the system steadily. When Percocet leaves the system quickly, it can cause multiple small withdrawals that build up into a large withdrawal syndrome. I would not use Percocet this way.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng