Suggest ways to lose weight

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Weight Loss
Question: I am 42 and weigh 95kgs though I have no medical issues but I feel I am weighing too much, kindly suggest something ob weight reduction
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3 ways - Diet Exercise and sleep

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
As you describe, you are definitely over weight. And there is a necessity of the weight reduction for appearance, health, and joint pains.
For weight reduction you have to follow 3 ways,
1. Diet - control calories, fats, fries, and oily foods.
Choose your diet wisely- reduced the amount of fat and carbohydrate in your
diet. Good amount of breakfast, more in protein and fiber content; moderate
amount of lunch and light dinner. Total calorie intake should be less than the
required
small frequent meals are ideal than 3 big meals.
select the right portion of cereal ,avoid bakery products processed foods,
sweets , carbonated drinks .Add lots of vegetables in your meals with 2
servings of fruits per Day.
2. Exercise -Practice, yoga, exercises, morning walk,and do any work in front of
you what ever it is. I recommend getting at least 30 minutes of moderately
intense exercise every day, and even more exercise for further health
benefits.Going on doing some thing.This will keep you fit and relaxed
3. Sleep- sleep for minimum time, practice late to bed and early to rise and avoid
day time sleep, even for a while.
4. Intake sufficient amount of water
5. Avoid following crash diet, and taking any slim powder and tablets.Because it causes side effects including reflex weight gain once you stopped taking it and it is not good for health
It will be a hard work but you should be determined to reduce your weight

Dr Priyanka G Raj.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
thanks pls advise for my weight should be the calories intake per day and if possible pls advise on at of intake of various food in a day to come to the calories
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mention your height

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing again
I can send you the diet chart for your routine by our dietitian. Kindly mention you height.

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 8 minutes later
my height is 5.8 -9 inches
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diet chart by dietitian

Detailed Answer:
WEIGHT LOSS
The idea behind weight loss is actually loss of the excess fat on the body. And to achieve the same, it is important to cut down on the total calorie and unnecessary fat intake. Doing so would discourage the conversion of calories to fat. Further a wholesome activity plan, with a blend of cardio and strength training would aid in burning the fat that is already present.
Reducing calorie intake and adding the necessary fillers like insoluble fibers would add bulk to the diet. This helps in attaining satiety while consuming lesser calories. Include a lot of whole cereals, pulses, fruits and vegetables to your diet. Restrict the intake of the refined foods like those made with refined wheat flour. Avoid taking excess sugar in the diet. Include good protein sources like legumes, dals, milk and its products and soy in the diet. It is important to consume sufficient water and take a good sleep.
You are also required to choose the fats wisely, limit the intake of oil and avoid the fried foods and snacks. However add the nuts like almonds, cashew and walnuts to the daily diet. These would provide quality protein and also rich in good fats. Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to keep up the metabolism. You may also include options like green tea and lemon tea. Buttermilk and tender coconut water are also good options.
Increasing the physical activities, helps you burn more calories and hence supports and accelerates the weight loss rate by increasing the metabolism. At the same time reducing the total calorie intake ensures that the fat reserves are used for energy production. Avoid lying down or sitting immediately after the meals. You may go for a light walk after lunch and dinner. Or if possible sit in Vajrasana for 15 – 20 minutes after the meals.

Some changes that you may introduce for healthy weight loss are:

1.     Reduce the total calorie intake. Avoid too sweet and starchy foods like sago, sugar, sweets, refined and polished rice, tapioca, potato and colocasia etc.
2.     Use less salt in diet.
3.     Add plenty of fibrous food to make up the volume includes raw salads, lettuce, sprouts, whole grains etc. in the diet plan.
4.     It is equally important to mind the fats. Saturated forms like pure ghee, cream, butter etc. are fattening. It is therefore advisable to prefer the vegetable oils in limited quantities. Choose from peanut oil, corn oil, rice XXXXXXX oil etc.
5.     It is a good idea to add more vegetables to the diet. Ensure that there at least one vegetable preparation in the meal, and when hungry add more salads and vegetables than adding the cereals or pulses.
6.     The heavy pulses and legumes should be preferably taken for lunch. Eg. Take rajmah, Lobhia, black channa etc. for lunch, to ensure proper and complete digestion.
7.     There should be at least one portion of fruit every day in the diet. All fruits are allowed except XXXXXXX sapota, grapes, banana, custard apple and ripe jackfruit.
8.     Consume plenty of salads and fluids. Include tender coconut water, salted lemon juice, green tea (sugarless) and wheat grass juice for improved metabolism.
9.     Consume low fat dairy products and avoid butter etc.
10.     It is also advised that you follow the meal timings as much as possible and follow a 6-7 meal pattern. The meals should be small and frequent, with plenty of fluids.
11.     Take lighter dinner and make it a habit to drink lukewarm water after the meals.

Make healthy lifestyle changes and follow a balanced activity routine. This would help you in achieving the desired weight goal faster. Indulge in activities like playing badminton, swimming, jogging etc. this would not only help you burn those extra calories, but would also provide a break from the routine.
Also making small lifestyle modifications like, eating food on time, avoiding activities like reading and watching TV while eating, would be of help.

Hope this would help you.

If you have any doubts you are welcome,otherwise kindly close the thread and rate it.

Thank you

Dr Priyanka G Raj